Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Quick Project: Pincushion



This was a super quick and inelegant -yet much-needed- project I did. I'm sharing it because the tutorial I used was kinda brilliant, so I want to share it with you.

I really needed a pincushion, preferably one that I could wear. After losing pins in the carpet while making my living room curtains, I realized I needed a quick solution. Yes, I could have just bought one, but where's the fun in that? Instead, I used Some Art Talk's simple pincushion design, with just a couple of minor modifications.

One thing I did was add a band so that I could wear the pincushion on my wrist. All I did was make a scrunchy with a strip of fabric and some elastic, then sew it on. Obviously, if you are doing this yourself, you'll have to do it before stuffing the pincushion.
The other thing I did was to add a square of plastic inside the pincushion, to act as a shield for my wrist. You can see the outline of it under the fabric in the picture below. I just used scrap plastic from a blister pack that I was throwing away. I put that into my pincushion before stuffing, and it prevents the pins from poking all the way through and stabbing the back of my wrist as I sew.

Like I said - nothing too exciting, but if you are looking to make yourself a pincushion, please check out the link I used. The method is pretty awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment