Sunday, May 30, 2010

Cheese!

Today DH and I took a trip down to Tillamook, home of the world-famous Tillamook Cheese Factory.  I love the cheese factory - I've been going there since I was a kid.  There's something so endlessly fun about watching those be-hairnetted cheese mongers cutting, weighing, and packaging loaves of cheese.  It kind of makes you feel like you're in an episode of Sesame Street.

Needless to say, we bought a lot of cheese.  Yum.  Here's hoping this doesn't make us both lactose-intolerant. 

More after the jump (yay, I learned how to use jumps!)

What do you think we did after the cheese factory?

If you guessed, "went to another cheese factory," then you know me well.  Our next stop was the Blue Heron French Cheese Company:
Look at this beautiful mosaic just inside the entrance.  Gorgeous.

I also got to say hello to the lovely ladies responsible for all this cheese:

On the way home to Cannon Beach, we went through many cute little coastal towns.  This store name cracked me up:
"Stuff and Things."  Brilliant.

This was a little shop in Rockaway Beach that I've always noticed, and never stopped in.  The owner creates these little hanging "dewdrops."  He uses recycled light bulbs, rainwater, and temple bells from India.  You can buy dewdrops with rainwater from specific months, or even days, and they etch the month/year on the bottom of the bulb.  I bought one from May 2010 as a memento of our trip.  They have a website HERE, with much more beautiful photos!

Our last stop before home was at the Nehalem Bay Winery, the creators of possibly the sweetest, fruitiest wine in the world.  Normally we both prefer very dry wines, but this winery is just so odd and charming that we usually can't resist stopping in for a tasting and a bottle. 

...I mean, could you?

1 comment:

  1. Looks wonderful! I can't wait to open the bag of cheese curds :)

    ReplyDelete