Monday, July 5, 2010

Edmonds 4th of July Parade

Yesterday I went to a 4th of July parade with my mom, aunt and uncle, and cousins. Is there anything better than a small-town parade? I think not! Edmonds did not disappoint.

My cousin Rory, who is going into 6th grade and is sassy and fabulous, sat with me on an ivy wall to watch. Which was great, because she's just hitting that age where it's way more fun to make funny comments about the parade than to run around collecting the candy that gets thrown.

Of course the parade had to include clowns:




Next came those most patriotic of all creatures, Stormtroopers from Star Wars:


Followed by Uncle Sam's cousin, Darth Vader:

Rory goes, "Why isn't Darth Vader throwing candy? Is he too good for that?"


...And rounding out the unholy trifecta, there were pirates.
This is their ship. They may have plundered and pillaged their way around the Carribean, but that doesn't mean they don't love America, gosh darn it.


And last of all, a whole backhoe full of candy. Woot!
For me, the highlight of the parade was when I was accosted by a crazy lady who didn't like where we were sitting. Here's the conversation we had:
Crazy Lady: You know, you're sitting in my ivy. (please note that the ivy in question was on the sidewalk, not in a yard or anything like that. I would never be rude enough to plop myself down in a stranger's front yard)
Me: Oh... um?
Crazy Lady: That's my ground cover.
Me: Well, ivy is pretty hardy. I doubt that we're doing any damage to it.
Crazy Lady: Oh no, you won't do any damage. The ivy will be just fine.
Me: Okay... good...
Crazy Lady: But it's mine. (drifts off, never to be seen again)
I'm still not sure what that was all about, although I guess there's nothing more patriotic than declaring posession! So maybe she was just celebrating in her own way. Although I wanted to go find her and invite her to sit with us, which in my thinking would have been way more fun.
Happy belated 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment