Thursday, July 1, 2010

$40 at the Lake City Farmer's Market



I'll be honest - I don't love summer as much as most people. My favorite time of year is September to December, because I love cold, windy days and watching the leaves turn. But there are a few things that I really look forward to every summer, and neighborhood Farmer's Markets are at the top of that list.


In Seattle we of course have the world famous Pike Place Market, but the neighborhood markets are really where it's at. The neighborhoods take turns, so that almost every day of the week there's a market going on somewhere.


I'm going to try to see if I can hit every one of them at least once this summer. Today I visited the one closest to me, in the Lake City neighborhood. I brought $40 in cash, just to see how far it would take me. Here's what I got:

-Market bouquet
-Small sweet pea bouquet (I always forget how good these smell!!)
-Bottle of hard cider
-2 lbs. of heirloom tomatoes (so good in a Greek salad)
-1 scoop of vanilla-lemon swirl ice cream


Next week I'd like to try to get to the market down in Columbia City...

3 comments:

  1. This is a great haul! I want to try the cider! I am happy to go to the Columbia City Market with you next week. I've been wanting to get there too. We could also do the Georgetown Market the following Saturday!

    I do not see my blog award, but I like the idea of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Olympia and we have a wonderful farmer's market down here. Last weekend, I got garlic scapes and cooked them in olive oil on a grill pan - yumm! The radishes are so colorful and tasty right now, and I love the handmade soap. My favorite food vendor is a taco stand with authentic Mexican food - I'm definitely a regular. Would love to explore some of the local farmer's markets up your way, too :-)
    Your Neighbor in Olympia,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nadine, I grew up in Olympia! I love the farmer's market down there. So much less corny and more accessible than Pike Place!! Seattle's neighborhood ones are definitely much smaller, and more focused on food (I remember there being a lot of crafts and things at the Olympia one, alongside produce and food).

    Aww... now I'm feeling nostalgic. I'll have to make a trek down one of these days - and stop at Archibald Sisters too!

    ReplyDelete